Welcome Home... Guidelines
Purpose: Collect and distribute hand made afghans and quilts for a homeless veteran's early needs.
Criteria for the afghans and quilts:
- Preferably hand made**
- Preferably new**
- Preferably washable
- Suggested size - approximately 40" wide by 65" (5'5") long
**Nearly new or new afghans and quilts of all types (and sizes) will be accepted and distributed. While prayer shawls are nice, they are not what we need.
- Softer yarns are more comfortable.
- Lion Brand MICRO-SPUN yarn is a very soft yarn (and is 100% Acrylic and Machine Washable & Dryable).
Caron Simply Soft Yarn is another soft yarn and is 100% Acrylic and Machine Washable (gentle) and Dryable (tumble dry low).
There are many other nice soft acrylic yarns available. These are merely suggestions.
- Wool is ok but not preferred because some individuals are allergic to animal fibers--plus wool yarns tend to be less soft. Please identify all items that contain wool so that we might add this information to the label.
- Any pattern can be used but check out the patterns on our website
- Afghans and Quilts donated need to be smoke free and pet hair free.
We encourage you to send us any patterns you would like to share. We can share them on our website or provide them to knitting groups who request new pattern ideas.
Everything I need to know is on the submission form but in summary:
- I need to know the name, address, phone and e-mail (if available) of the person who made the afghan or quilt being submitted. Don't worry, this info is confidential and you will not get on a mailing list. I need this so I can maintain a donor list for my records.
- And don't forget, I need to know what the item is made of (some individuals are allergic to wool).
Please send completed afghans and quilts, along with a completed submission form to:
Sue W. Thompson
62691 E. Border Rock Road
Tucson, AZ 85739
Contact Sue W. Thompson